5.06.2005

I am not your best friend.

I am convinced that some people call customer service lines because they are lonely. The reason I believe this is that they call for some piddly, little asinine reason, which can be resolved in approximately 45 seconds and yet they keep you on the phone for 45 minutes. When this happens I have one thought running through my head - the image of myself screaming like in Home Alone while I beat the phone receiver repeatedly against my desk until it shatters.

The reason I bring this up because one of my co-worker received a call today which I had the pleasure of listening to. Early in the call the customer put my fellow rep on hold (you called US!! Don't put US on hold!!) during this time she turned to tell me that the customer had actually driven back to the restaurant to ask the employees what the address to the restaurant was. During the course of her conversation I heard her tell him it definitely sounded like he "understood the values the company had been built upon" and I heard her attempt to close the call exactly 8 times before she finally was able to accomplish saying goodbye to him.

These customers are the worst customers possible. The reason is that it is impossible to say goodbye to them, as my co-worker experienced today, you can reassure these people, sympathize with them, specifically explain how their call will be handled and thank them for calling until you are blue in the face to no avail. They never hang up.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Seva said...

Interesting post..

3:46 AM  
Blogger o-god-not-another-one said...

haha. people are loons. hate ''serving'' the public too. why must they be such inane fools?!

9:50 AM  
Blogger Iva Mae said...

Perhaps you need to change jobs. I can't imagine working where I have so little respect for those with whom I communicate.

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home